To prove your eligibility to enrol in your course you'll need to provide a range of documentation. Don't worry if you don't have a scanner. You can simply take a clear picture of the required documents on your smart phone to send to us if we need to see them. You may need to provide a selection of the following types of documents.

Identity and/or Date of Birth (DOB)

Copies of one of the following documents help prove your identity and show your date of birth:

  • current Driver’s Licence issued under Australian Law (copies of both front and back)
  • current adult Proof of Age Card (18+card) (copies of front and back)
  • current passport
  • Birth Certificate or Birth Extract.

Queensland residency

Copies of one of the following documents that show a Queensland address and match the other address information provided help prove your Queensland residency:

  • current Queensland Driver’s Licence, Heavy Vehicle or Marine Licence (front and back)
  • recent electricity, gas, or telephone account
  • recent Queensland local government rates notice
  • current Queensland vehicle registration certificate
  • bank statement issued within last six months
  • official letter from Centrelink or Department of Human Services
  • current Health Care Card
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment/Tax File Number confirmation notice
  • current Department of Veteran’s Affairs/Pensioner Concession Card
  • current Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • current contract of property purchase, lease/rental document, mortgage/land ownership certificate
  • Australian Electoral Commission document (e.g. electoral enrolment card/letter).
How to apply

We’ve made the application process as easy as possible so you can start preparing for your new study adventure sooner. Depending on what course you’d like to study there are a few different application methods available.


Got a question? We're here to help

Australian or New Zealand citizenship

A copy of one of the following documents proves your citizenship:

  • current Australian or New Zealand Passport
  • Birth Certificate* or Birth Extract
  • Australian Citizenship certificate
  • Certificate of Status for New Zealand Citizens in Australia (CSNZA).

*Birth Certificate must be prior to 20 August 1986 or show that one/both parents as born in Australia. 

Australian permanent residency

Provide a copy of one of the following documents to prove your residency status*:

  • Permanent visa or formal communication from the Department of Immigration showing approval of a permanent visa subclass
  • current Medicare card (green Medicare card only)
  • Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status (CERS).

*Only required for domestic students who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens

Eligibility for fee-free training for year graduates

To be eligible to access fee-free training you must enrol and start training by the end of the calendar year following the completion of Year 12. 

We can accept any of the following in order to verify your enrolment:

  • Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
  • Senior Statement issued by the Queensland Curriculum Assessment Authority (QCAA)
  • Tertiary Entrance Statement
  • Queensland Certificate of Individual Achievement (QCIA).

Eligibility for concession 

Please note that concession fees are only available for students who meet eligibility for Queensland Government subsidised training.  

If applicable you may need to provide one of the following:

  • current Health Care or Pensioner concession card (with your name on the card)
  • an official form under Commonwealth law confirming your concessional entitlement
  • Disability – current Pensioner Concession Card or other documentation verifying your disability. 

Or you need to identify as:

  • an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • a school student and are enrolled in a VETiS program (may include youth in detention).

VET Student Loans

In order to verify your identity you will need to provide a screen shot from the ATO section of your My.Gov account showing your name, address and date of birth. 

You will also need to prove your academic suitability by providing evidence of one of the following:

  • Australian Year 12 Certificate of Education
  • successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English).

If you cannot provide either of the above documents you will be required to display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy. TAFE Queensland will assess your competence using the Australian Government approved assessment tool — Basic Key Skills Builder (bksb).

Underage students

Students under 18 years of age applying for a VET Student Loan will also need to complete a Parent Consent Form

For New Zealand Citizens applying for a VET Student Loan

In order to qualify for a VSL you must have entered Australia as a dependent child under 18 years of age and have been a resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years and 18 months of the last two years at the time of the loan application).

You will need to supply the following documents: